Case Study: SEVA
This project covers the iterative design + testing process of an on-demand maintenance application for Caltech's onsite wastewater treatment technology.
- Cody Finke (Lead Developer/Investigator)
- Michael Hoffmann (Principal Investigator)
- Clément Cid (Investigator)
- Anastasia Hanan (Design + Research)
Our target user is a non-engineer in India that may have low levels of technical expertise and/or literacy.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Disney R&D
- In 2015, our team won first place in the Vodafone Wireless Innovation Challenge ($300K).
- We have designed and iteratively tested our app in three different rounds (remotely and on-site) and are currently moving into development - see this process below.
- Patent for Technology: Self-Diagnosis and Maintenance Guide for Non-Sewered Sanitation Systems
Timeline of the project:
The larger body of work has focused on both a US and an Indian Market (for ease of navigation, this project mostly focuses on India and 2017's app design + testing).
(see full report at the end of project)
Our tech will only be successful if we can also provide a maintenance plan.
Low cost maintenance may require building information for users with low technical skill and diverse literacy rates.
The greatest challenge for design will be around identifying parts (pictures and parts may update independently) and information design for over 122 languages in India.
App design + user testing process overview:
V1 User Testing:
On site interviews (in sanitation units) with partners in two locations near Coimbatore, India.
Beta prototype in Invision.
Translator fo non-English speakers.
Can users complete the basic flow?
V2 User Testing:
Remote user testing. We did initial testing via usertesting.com, but felt that users were too "trained" (we got too positive of responses). As an alternative, we instead sourced participants ourselves and completed testing using lookback.io
Testing navigation through information architecture by asking users to complete tasks.
V3 APP Design:
Phase 1 was completed in 2014 and helped inform app design above
Phase 1 Design Informed by Ethnography: